Operations SpecialistBACK TO LIST OF
By developing deeper connections between communities and the food systems within them, we’re powering the revival of local, sustainable food in New England and New York. Our business has two sides: On one hand we lend to qualified food and farm businesses across the food value chain...and on the other, we offer deposit accounts for anyonewho [loves/eats/grows/cooks] local food. The word “mutual” in our name means cooperative; we’re owned by our community, and legally accountable to our long-term commitments. At our core, we’re bridge builders – using banking to connect our partners (what we call the people and businesses who bank with us) to our mission and the greater sustainable food and agriculture ecosystem.
We’re searching for an Operations Specialist to help build our back office, enabling a best-in-class experience for our partners. As a digital bank, you’ll combine technology and banking know-how to not just digitize existing processes – but reimagine them for efficiency and effectiveness. Across risk, compliance, payments, and more, you’ll innovate on existing operational models to create the infrastructure necessary to pursue ourmission. The right candidate will be entrepreneurial, organized, and task-oriented. Friends of the right candidate might describe them as “strangely obsessed with banking stuff” and “really productive”. This is an individua lcontributor role, with ample opportunity for growth as our operational scope increases. The role is based in our office (and retail location) in Concord, New Hampshire.
- Provide daily operational support across functional areas.
- Develop the programs, processes, and tools necessary to support our partners’ digital banking needs across lifecycle and service (i.e.,digital account origination, online and mobile banking, debit cards, bill payment, wires, ACH origination, mobile deposit, and cash management services).
- Develop (and continuously improve) operational models – automating manual tasks and building self-service infrastructure – to proactively support other internal stakeholders, anticipating areas of risk and potential mitigants.
- Work with vendors for implementations, enhancements, updates, and resolutions relating to our digital banking experience.
- Build the training and procedures to support business needs, and ensure controls are developed and operating to manage risk relating to digital banking.
- Implement key service and performance metrics for each program and service.
- Operate independently, taking responsibility to ensure daily tasks are completed and resolutions identified, escalating issues as appropriate.
- Support cash management function – including ACH and wire originations, remote deposit capture, partner registrations, and related products and services.
- Keep up to date with our products, services, and regulatory requirements.
- Support finance and operations – including reconciliations, research, maintenance, monitoring, testing, and processing transactions.
- Complete required compliance-related bank training (and other related activities).
- 3-5 years of experience building and supporting digital banking operations.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent related experience, training, and certifications.
- Expertise in banking products, services, and systems – as well as regulatory compliance requirements.
- Entrepreneurial drive to move quickly from nothing to something, test, and iterate repeatedly.
- Motivation to build and perpetually improve technology-enabled operational processes.
- Comfort with the ups and downs of a service environment, especially at a startup.
- Curiosity to understand and contribute to Walden Mutual’s mission and strategic objectives.
- Effective communication skills with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to perform work accurately and within assigned deadlines - capturing metrics to assist leadership in continuous improvement efforts.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment; willingness to work on new endeavors and cross-functionally.
- Ability to manage projects relating to implementations, conversions, or upgrades.
- AAP (Accredited ACH Professional) or other financial services or technology certifications
- Experience developing and documenting procedures or continuous improvement.
- Familiarity with sustainability, food, or agriculture businesses.
- Health insurance coverage with dental and vision
- Unlimited PTO
- Allocated time for volunteering
- “Quiet” Fridays
- Monthly team dinners
- Annual career development allowance
- Life and accidental death and disability insurances
- Parental leave policy
- 11 paid holidays
- Walden-branded swag!
You’ll be contributing to a mission-driven startup committed to sustainable food and agriculture throughout the business communities in New England and New York. We’re building a diverse team that shares our passion. If you are inspired by ambitious missions and working hard to support borrowers and depositors, we’d love to meet you!