Commercial LenderBACK TO LIST OF
By developing deeper connections between communities and the food systems within them, we’re powering the revival of local, sustainable food in New England and New York. Our business has two sides: On one hand we lend to qualified food and farm businesses across the food value chain...and on the other, we offer deposit accounts for anyone who [loves/eats/grows/cooks] local food. The word “mutual” in our name means cooperative; we’re owned by our community, and legally accountable to our long-term commitments. At our core, we’re bridge builders – using banking to connect our partners (what we call the people and businesses who bank with us) to our mission and the greater sustainable food and agriculture ecosystem.
This posting is for a “Commercial Lender”…but for us, that’s another name for a public ambassador for our mission and brand. We want to differentiate ourselves from other lenders by our passion for food, sustainability, and the region we call home – and we’re looking for a person who shares those values. You’ll spend your time building lasting relationships with local sustainable food and agriculture businesses – advocating for our vision of a reinvigorated regional food system. Along the way, you’ll use creativity to find solutions to borrowers’ problems using the tools at our disposal – our loans, deposit products, and wraparound support. You’ll thrive in this role if you’re people-focused, entrepreneurial, and a problem solver. Friends of the right candidate would probably call them “a great listener, empathetic, and super driven.” We’re looking for an avid learner who can grow with our loan portfolio in the coming years.
- Work with our SVP of Lending to build our pipeline of commercial lending opportunities across New England and New York, specifically focused on food & agriculture.
- Network with business owners and operators across the region to build relationships, understand their needs, and generate creative financial solutions to their problems.
- Collaborate with potential borrowers to understand their business, their industry, and their financial situation – and advocate for their needs within the bank.
- Collaborate with bank underwriters to evaluate loans with a strong credit framework; manage loan portfolio, identifying potential risks and concentrations; ensure loans are properly risk rated, and loan files are current and adequately documented; and conduct periodic loan reviews, appraisal, inspections, and collateral evaluations. Make or recommend changes / enhancements to the loan structure as appropriate.
- Lead the development of a food industry thought leadership program for commercial lenders, credit staff and associates – covering industry trends, developments, and financial analysis.
- Interact regularly with the Loan Committee. Occasional interaction with regulators, auditors, and third party agencies for the examination of borrowers and the portfolio.
- Complete required compliance related bank training and other duties as assigned.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills to effectively present material to customers, prospects, fellow employees and management.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and expand referral networks and centers of influence.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in commercial lending OR sales experience within the food system; credit training a plus; strong analytical and judgment skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Team-first attitude with a strong desire to achieve long-term quality results, taking initiative and thinking strategically to accomplish shared goals and objectives; and strong ethical standards and integrity.
- Frequently interacting with borrowers at their businesses and at community events.
- Hybrid/remote work option available in the near term. During the initial 4-6 months, you may be required onsite at the bank at least once (1x) a week.
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree / certification a plus. Working knowledge of third party/government related credit, guarantee & enhancement programs (i.e., SBA, BFA, USDA programs, CDFI programs, etc.) and state and federal banking requirements are a plus, as well as other industry certifications.
- Strong working knowledge of food businesses, agricultural lending and/or general commercial and industrial lending is a plus.
- Health insurance coverage with dental and vision
- Unlimited PTO
- Allocated time for volunteering
- “Quiet” Fridays
- Monthly team dinners
- Sabbatical program at 6 years
- Life and disability insurances
- Parental leave policy
- 11 paid holidays
- Walden-branded swag!
You’ll be contributing to a mission-driven startup committed to sustainable food and agriculture throughout the business communities in New England and New York. We’re building a diverse team that shares our passion. If you are inspired by ambitious missions and working hard to support borrowers and depositors, we’d love to meet you!